How to Make Water Lily Handicrafts

By | July 9, 2013

Since the creek at the back of our house was cleared of water lily last February, it is still pretty much clear and without growth. I wonder what did they do? A salute to the Pasig city government for having done so and I believe they’re using the water lilies as raw materials for livelihood projects.

I’m also glad because probably it’s one of the reasons why we’ve not been bugged by mosquitoes for a couple of months now.  I’m not saying that our place is mosquito free but they’re not keeping me awake at 2 am just to hunt for them in our bedroom.

I also hope that since the creek is not clogged, it would also somehow help our streets and our houses flood free this rainy season.

Since I made that post about Making Handicrafts from Water Lily, I’ve had regular visitors coming to this blog through that post. It made me take a second look at the post to see if I’ve provided good enough information about making water lily handicrafts.

I, too, had interest about how to make those water lily handicrafts. Apparently, the Philippines is not the genius behind this idea because it originated from other Asian countries. Thailand and Cambodia have been doing these type of products before the Philippines did.

I embedded some videos here about how to make water lily or water hyacinth (what these plants are usually called in other countries) handicrafts. The first video shows how it is done from harvesting, cutting and drying to different ways by which it is made or woven into handicrafts.

The second video showcases some nice products made from water lily. These Thailand villagers are really good in weaving baskets. The finished products are so beautiful.

And this last video is from Thailand which shows how they use water lily to make furniture. It’s a very fascinating how automated they are in making furniture and how they were able to incorporate the indigenous touch of adding water lily into this craftsmanship. I wonder if this is also done in the Philippines now.

What other products can you think of that can be made from water lily?  I think it could also be used for making handmade paper. Do you think it’s possible to use it in making clothes as well?

28 thoughts on “How to Make Water Lily Handicrafts

1. Louise | Mommy Practicality

Could these be dried and made very thin as paper? If so, they could be paper bags, especially now that we’re moving into the paper product movement to save our Mother Earth right?

2. ElizOF

It is impressive to see how many things can be made form that precious plant. I also hope they didn’t kills the entire plant gowning in the creek near you. :-)
    Elizabeth

1. Chin chin Post author

As I mentioned there are advantages to not having the water lilies there – less mosquitoes and no clogging of the creek. Besides, it would be very easy to grow these plants if they are really needed.

3. Farida

Probably they could ingeniously find ways to transform this into something wearable too :)

4. eLLa (r)

So who said water lilies are water pest? Dapat ganyan ginawa sa Davao (?) nung nainfest ng water lilies yung river nila.

5. aby

why not.. i first heard this on las pinas.. hehehe very nice livelihood program :)

6. Glenda

I wonder if that could be used in “Barong” making as well.

7. Allan

I think there are many things we can produce out of water lily. this can be a good raw materials for fabrics too.

8. Melgie

this is great use for water lily, the product is amazingly beautiful..:)

9. reese

there’s a lot of products i knew that are made from water lilies – i already heard textile made from water lilies
    great that Pasig City is clearing out creeks, sana ma-clear na rin ang Laguna de Bay and others

10. Mommy Maye

I hope people also here in Sta Maria Bulacan can make a project like this because there are so many water lilies in one of its river. You can see it overflowing everytime there’s a heavy rain. Nakikita ko lang na naddry na and then ganun na lang. They can turn it out to something like bags right.

1. Chin chin Post author

Yes, Mommy Maye. There are many making water lily handicrafts already. But I haven’t heard any using them to make furniture here in the Philippines.

11. Maan

Hala these are nice! Water lilies grow fast, don’t they? Instead of seeing them as infestation, aba pwede pagkakitaan!

12. Marie

Oh, ang galing naman. It would be a good livelihood program too

13. tet

I’ve heard about water lily made as handicrafts on TV before and I believe that with proper budget and skill, we can turn those into a living.

14. max

i’ve heard a lot of the products from water lilies, sana nga maximize ito for livelihood

15. JanzCrystalz

It’s great that Pasig was able to clean water lily infested river. Even though were not the first to have the idea at least the idea from other countries will also help us out. I hope the government will continue the project.

16. Lady Anne

This is great! I never thought water lilies can turn into handicrafts! Thanks for the info.

17. Vanessa

I remember when I was still living in Cainta Rizal near Floodway, I would always see the river full of water hyacinths. Glad that they found a way to make something out of those. Atleast, aside from it, may bonus pang livelihood. Nice one! :-)

18. Mich

Paano ang process ng paggawa ng shoes,baskets,bags and other handicrafts made from water lily stalks? We’re conducting a feasibility study about this business.Can we get response to those who know the operation?An advance thanks to you. God bless

1. Chin chin Post author

Hi Mich. Maybe you can go to one of the makers of water lily handicrafts. Where do you live? Taguig City has a Water Lily Livelihood Program. You can check their Facebook page and contact them. They have their number watermarked on almost all the photos. Or maybe you can contact your local government and find out if such livelihood program exists.

19. Dante S. Chichioco

I plan to bring our Forestry students from Benguet State University to visit a processing site for water lily products but Pasig, Taguig and Villar Foundation are too far. do you know of any other sites nearer to Benguet, at least in Central Luzon or Region 1 (Pangasinan or La Union)?

1. Chin chin

Hi. I’m not sure where you can take your students nearer BSU. If you’re near Tarlac, perhaps you can check with Paniqui WaterLily Women’s Development Association – 0999.359.3685. Also, you can inquire from Villar Foundation because they do workshops and trainings as far as Pangasinan and Nueva Ecija; ask about their Pilot Centers near your area. You can also ask your local government, maybe they already have a program in place. I hope this info helps.

20. Dennis Tubo

Can you help us where we can attend hand bag making, and other products from water lily? We are starting our cooperative and we want to start our venture with this project. Our community lies beside laguna lake and there are plenty of water lilies here.
    salamat for your assistance.

1. Chin chin

Hi Dennis, you can contact the Villar Foundation: Tel number 632) 872-8540 / (632) 872-5488 or email villarfoundationinc@gmail.com. I know they’ve been doing water lily livelihood workshops from town to town. Perhaps you can request that they come to your place. If you’re forming a cooperative, you might also like to inquire from DOLE, DTI and DOST on how they can assist you in creating a water lily livelihood project. Read this post about how the 3 helped a cooperative in Taguig engaged in waterlily handicraft-making. Hope this helps.